story fam

story fam

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 19 and 20 - Left Overs

I have never been a big fan of the left over meal.  I have no idea why.  This is where food wasting at our house creeps in.  I make a meal/we eat the meal/I box up the teeny bits and pieces that are remaining/stick said food in the freezer/Derek either takes it for lunch or it just sits there in freezer no man's land.  The sitting there is what typically occurs. 

In the last few days, I have had another wonderful "a-ha" moment and yes, you guessed it, it is about the beauty of the left over!!  If you remember my meal plan for this week, on Monday night we had pasta and homemade meat sauce.  I doubled the pasta and planned on using the sauce again yesterday for lunch.  We then had taco's last night for dinner with the intent of eating the left over meat today (June 20th).

Last night it occurred to me that we still have a ton of pasta and sauce!!  Yesterdays lunch included 2 kids eating chicken ( a left over grilled from Father's Day), and 2 kids eating pasta (one ate plain noodles and one had noodles with sauce).  None of the kids were starving, so they didn't eat much. 

So today I am left with a hefty quantity of taco meat (which we will be having today for lunch) and the pasta which I will be serving again for dinner.  This will push the grilled cheese to Thursday and I will eliminate the fettuccine as that my friends is just too much pasta around here!!!!!!!

I love that I am learning to be more resourceful with the food we are making.  I am becoming more aware of what we are eating/what we are not eating/and how we can make sure to use all of our food before purchasing or eating new things. 

It might not be exciting, but it is working for now!!

No comments: