story fam

story fam

Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 18 - Condiments

Have you ever read the ingredients on ketchup?  Mayo?  Miracle Whip?  Salsa?  Pasta sauce?  I am learning very quickly that there is a lot of sugar added to things that dress up our food!!  I find it odd that there are also many ingredients that I cannot even pronounce on the labels-how did I not notice this before????? 

In my quest to cut out processed foods, I have cut a lot of condiments-we no longer have ketchup, salad dressings, dip, etc.  I even bailed on mayo and miracle whip.  I have made many of the condiments and they taste really good.

Enter mayo.  I cannot get it right.  There are a gazillion recipes on Pinterest alone for "easy" mayo-WHATEVER!!!!!  If you are reading this and have an easy recipe, PLEASE for the love of all things mayo share it!!  I am dying over here!!!!!

How did I resolve my mayo issue??  Yes, I bought a small jar of Helmans.  I needed it for a dill dip that I was including in a meal for my cousin.  I tried the dip without the mayo and friends it was gross!!!!!!  I felt bad buying the little plastic container, BUT the kids gobbled up the dill dip with veggies at dinner-I would say it is a trade off wouldn't you?

I have found an easy, and delish, homemade sauce recipe that I adapted from one at 100days.  It is just as easy as opening a jar of Prego!!

Easy spaghetti sauce:

2 big cans of plum tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes that have been boiled to remove the skins)
garlic (I use 2-3 big peeled cloves)
random veggies (I add in celery, peppers, carrots, zucchini-whatever I can find!!)
3 tbsp olive oil
salt/pepper (optional)
2 lbs browned hamburger (optional)

In a blender (we have a Ninja and I LOVE it!!) combine first 3 ingredients.  Pulse until mixed.  Put sauce into a big sauce pot and cook over medium heat.  Once sauce begins to do a light boil, add in the olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Cook for about 10  minutes and add meat to the pot if you would like.  Cook an additional 10-15 minutes.  It makes the house smell FANTASTICAL!!

I have served this sauce with and without the meat.  It is yummy either way!!  Derek and I add a little Parmesan cheese-perfecto!!!!!

You can use this as pizza sauce as well.  It is easy and versatile-perfect for busy nights!!  I put my left over sauce in jars and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.

I'll be working on the mayo and let you know how that goes!!!

No comments: