story fam

story fam

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Review-A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

So I thought that The Kite Runner was the best book of 2009-I stand corrected! I am so sad that this book came to an end. I wish that there were hundreds more pages left to read!!!

I am not even sure that I can do a review justice. I would share that this book is written about two women, Mariam and Laila and the struggles that each suffer. It is a powerful book that offers a glimpse into the lives of Afghan women pre and post Taliban. This books grips the reader from the first pages until the very last. Choices are made, lives are changed, friendships are formed, wars are waged, death comes often in the form of bombings and rockets, food is scarce, droughts last-yet the women are fortified and carry on. This is a book of courage and strength-it is inspirational and disturbing. Uplifting and frightening.

If you haven't read this book put it on the top of your list-it will be worth it!!!!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I too, loved this book and hated to see it end. What Afghan women have endured in this lifetime gives new meaning to the words courage, endurance and survival. I remember reading this book and thinking just how lucky I am. Glad you enjoyed it too.