story fam

story fam

Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's up with the Revolution??

I've had a few people ask me what has posessed me to make this change towards "real" food so I thought I would share the catalyst to my decision.  This past December while at a check up for one of the kids, our pediatrician pointed out that the food that goes into the mouths of our children is my responsibility.  If it's junk I hold the responsibility for bringing the junk into our house-seriously, I do hold the power when it comes to our food dollars.  They certainly aren't shopping for themselves!!  On the other hand, when I make healthy choices for our family and buy non-processed foods, I can take the credit for that too.  Hearing this woman that I trust and respect say those words really had a tremendous impact on me.  It made me stop and really think about what I was buying and bringing home.  For quite some time I have done a weekly menu plan-and honestly I do cook the majority of our meals at home.  We do not "do" a lot of take out and when I looked at our cupboard I didn't see a lot of what I considered junk.  We don't have a lot of candy/cookies/etc laying around.  But we do have fruit snacks, granola bars dipped in chocolate, baked chips, frozen pre-made pancakes, "whole grain" waffles, regular syrup, gold fishies (man I love my goldfish!!), and various other processed food.  It became clear to me that a lot of what we eat truthfully is prepackaged/processed food.  I was convicted to make a change but here is the problem-I am human.  I am a Mom to 5 busy children.  I work part-time outside the home (which quite frankly can vary to full time depending on the week).  I am tired.  I like easy.  So back to the point of this post-why am I doing this?  Because I decided that I want to try to do better.  I want to make an effort to present my family with real food.  I am determined to see if I can cut out white sugar/white flour/and packaged foods that have more than 5 ingrediants.  I had the desire but the next step was how?  How am I going to go about this whole revolution??  How do you come up with recipes that don't use sugar?  How do I make a variety of heatlhy snacks that are easy?  Thankfully (God bless Pinterest) I stumbled on to a blog called 100daysofrealfood.com and found EVERYTHING I need to make this possible!!  There is a 10 day pledge that we will be taking as of June 1st with the intention of doing an actual 30 day pledge in our home.  During the month of June we will be adhereing to "the rules" which are listed on the blog.  There are recipes, menu plans, and tons of tips-I would really encourage you to check it out!!  I am going to update my own personal blog with our progress.  If you know me you know that I will gladly share the good, the bad, and the ugly.  So if you want to check in and see how things are going please feel free-I will be honest in this pursuit of better eating-trust me if something doesn't work you will know!!  To give you a real life update we had our "we are transitioning to "real" food breakfast" discussion this evening at dinner.  This is where I dropped the bomb that as of Tuesday we will be having "real" food breakfast items-this translates into no more sugary cereal (good bye LIFE-I did love you so!!-see even I am sacrificing!!), no more store bought pancakes and waffles, and the biggie-no more sweetened yogurt for breakfast.  Are you wondering what the responses were?  They ranged from excitement to "this stinks" to "after the 30 days will we go back to just eating regular Mom?".  It will be a learning process for all of us, but I know that I feel good about making the effort!!!  Here's to an exciting new adventure-hope we can all learn along the way!!!  And if you have any good recipes, tips, or general comments please feel free to leave those as well!!

3 comments:

Deborah said...

I am proud of you sister!

Mom to Five said...

Thank you very much:)

Mom to Five said...
This comment has been removed by the author.