story fam

story fam

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peris turns 10!

Birthday cupcakes..cute look with the icing
Late to bed and early to rise...breakfast donuts and juice

A "31" bag that Peris wanted

Singing along to a new Taylor Swift CD on Peris' new cd player
It has been a birthday-palooza here at Chez Story!! Peris celebrated with her family on Saturday afternoon and then had her two really good friends over for an overnight. She (and the rest of us) had such a fantastic time with her friends. We had been warned that it would be insane, but I have to say that the girls were perfect!! They ate cupcakes, watched a movie, played Wii Disney Sing-It, talked, giggled, stayed up WAY too late, and got up WAY too early!!
So what was I doing 10 years ago today? I do distinctly remember sitting in my bed at Methodist Medical Center staring at this tiny little creature in amazement. I just could not even begin to fathom how I was given this perfect little girl to love. Serioulsy, I couldn't imagine why the nurses were going to let us take her home-I really had no idea what to expect. Wednesday came and I felt pretty confident that we would be okay-heck, she never cried in the hospital and the nursery was in charge at night!! Life was good!! Then we got home and things quickly changed. Derek and I couldn't get Peris to stop crying, breastfeeding was a nightmare (why don't lactation consultants tell new Moms that breastfeeding is really hard??), and sleep was NOT on our agenda. So what did I do? I waited until 5:30a.m. and called the Methodist post partum unit to ask if we could bring her back-no I'm not kidding..I really did. Man that kid would just not stop the crying. Now here we are in the blink of an eye 10 years later with a 5th grader. In another blink she will be a freshman in high school and quite frankly I can't even think past that. What I would give for just a few more hours with a snuggly newborn who has that delicious smell-the baby powder/freshly bathed/Baby Magic lotion scent that I love to inhale. I used to find it so irritating when Moms would look at me with that wistful gaze and tell me how fast the infant and toddler years go by-now I am one of those Moms who says those very same words to strangers. I am the Mom who sits in Starbucks watching a younger Mom and her daughter share a hot chocolate and I am the one thinking- hold on tight to those memories because it flies by!! It really flies by.
Happy birthday Peris!! I love you sweets!!




No comments: